Saturday 11 May 2013

Happiness and a Garage Sale

Today was my first ever garage sale.  I wasn't a customer, I was helping my parents sell their unwanted stuff.  I learnt a few things today, so I thought I would share my observations of garage sale-ing.


  1. It takes a long time to organise a garage sale.
  2. Don't put a time for the garage sale to start.  People will come whenever they want, even if it is still dark.
  3. The early bird always gets the worm (and no doubt sells it to someone else).
  4. EVERYONE gets a bargain.
  5. Don't be sentimental with your belongings, they're in the garage sale for a reason.
  6. Sausage sizzles aren't that popular at 7am.
  7. You will be surprised at what people will pay money for.
  8. You will be surprised at what people won't pay money for (after all, you loved it and used it forever....why doesn't someone else see its value?)
  9. Don't expect to sell everything.  Not everyone wants your junk.
  10. It's a good way to make some extra cash, and to clean out your house! 

Today also reinforced the fact that accumulating possessions is not the source of true happiness, nor is success measured on the number of things we own.  I understand that some things are necessary to make life's tasks easier (we can't and shouldn't live in an empty house), but do we really need everything we have? (don't worry, I'm not about to clean out the house and set up my own garage sale) but it has reminded me of what is really of worth.

To me, true happiness can be found in the interactions with our loved ones, our family, our friends and our acquaintances.  It can be found in the service we give to others.  It can be found in the smell of a flower or under the shade of a big tree.  It can be found as we learn new things and share what we learn with others. It can be found when we have faith in God.

So what am I going to do about it? ... I'm not sure.  Maybe I will stop and think next time I go to purchase something and ask myself, "do we really need it?"  I know I can definitely continue spending time doing the things that DO bring true happiness.

We can all use a little more happiness.  We just need to know where to look.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...